All makes sense to me. Good idea.

From: Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org <Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org> on behalf of Steve
Winslow <swins...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 2:14 PM
To: Karsten Klein <karsten.kl...@metaeffekt.com>
Cc: J Lovejoy <opensou...@jilayne.com>, SPDX-legal <Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org>
Subject: Re: for discussion: license inclusion guidelines
Jilayne -- yes, I'd be open to a lighter-weight or streamlined approach to
approving licenses submitted from use in distros such as Debian and Fedora.

In these cases we have greater confidence that those communities have done the
work to vet certain of the license inclusion principles. In particular the
first and most important "Other Factor" re: "substantially complies with open
source definitions"; and its inclusion in the distro likely demonstrates the
"substantial use" factor for SPDX purposes.

I expect we'd want to be a bit specific about what we mean by "is included in
the distro". For instance, for Debian I'd think `main` would be covered,
`non-free` would not, and I don't know for `contrib`. I don't know how Fedora
divides things up...

I could see a Change Proposal being appropriate here. Modifying the License
Inclusion Principles is a pretty substantive policy change and not something we
want to undertake lightly or frequently.

Karsten -- you're welcome to put together and share a formal Change Proposal
for your concept if you would like. Speaking personally, I would not be in
favor of making that change to a sort of two-tiered license list. If you do
want to discuss it further on the mailing list, I'd ask if you could please
discuss it in a separate thread, so that we're not diverting from Jilayne's
original question here regarding Debian / Fedora. Thanks!

Steve

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 1:49 AM Karsten Klein