From: spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org
[mailto:spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org] On Behalf Of Jilayne Lovejoy
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 3:26 PM
To: Lamons, Scott (Open Source Program Office)
Cc: spdx-tech@lists.spdx.org; SPDX-biz; SPDX-legal
Subject: Re: meta-tag page

good thoughts, Scott!  Perhaps we don't need to prioritized the rationales, as
there are several very strong ones, but rather, start with focusing on the easy
applicability of the short identifiers to this purpose (i.e. tagging).  Then
discuss why (rationale) tagging is helpful.  I like the bulleted list format
Jack came up with, but it might be better to have a couple sentences for each
bullet fleshing out those advantages.

I also meant to add something about how this is not a "replacement" to
compliance, but that the main goal is to make it easier to identify the license
of a particular file (and by easier, that would mean more automatable) which,
in turn, makes compliance easier.  After all, you can only begin compliance
once you know what you have (via an SPDX document in this case) and, in my
experience, far too much time is spent trying to figure out the former than
should be.

David's point about the short identifiers not being completely immutable is a
good one as well.  As much as we aim to make them so, extreme statements like
that are usually an invite for contradiction later :)

Jilayne Lovejoy
SPDX Legal Team lead
lovejoyl...@gmail.com<mailto:lovejoyl...@gmail.com>

On Oct 3, 2013, at 12:33 PM, "Lamons, Scott (Open Source Program Office)"