Hi Nuno Brito

I think I understand. Without jumping to a solution, let me see if I can
summarize the problem.

A single copyright holder (IPR holder) provides the same software to different
parties each potentially under different licensing terms. At the time the
software is developed and tested the precise licensing terms are not known. It
is not until later that the terms are determined (e.g., via a negotiation).
Therefore the file does not include a license notice - just perhaps a copyright
notice such as:

/*
 * Copyright 2013 ABC Company, Inc.
 */

I do believe a minimum license notice like the following:

/*
 * Copyright 2013 ABC Company, Inc.
 *
 * This software is licensed pursuant to the terms of the
 * ABC Company software license agreement.
 *
 */

is useful even if it is not very specific (i.e., the terms have not been
written in stone). It is helpful to understand that the intent of the IPR
holder is to offer this file/software to others under terms that are subject to
a negotiation or discussion. Assuming that company ABC Company is 100% the
copyright (IPR) holder - the above license notice does not prevent ABC Company
from offering the same file to one party (recipient 1) under one set of license
terms and to a different party (recipient 2) under a different set of licensing
terms. That is:
   (i) ABC Company may not know the precise terms until the day they deliver
the code to a given customer; and
  (ii) different customers may potentially receive different terms;

One can create the following SPDX record for the example file:
>>  FileName: ./Config.src
>>  FileType: SOURCE
>>  FileChecksum: SHA1: 53f410f780bf5659aa100aa0161c2d5229944d2b
    LicenseInfoInFile: LicenseRef-23
    LicenseConcluded: LicenseRef-23

where LicenseRef-23 either:
  (a) simply repeats the license notice above; or
  (b) provides a reference to a specific contract (e.g., a formal name + date);
or
  (c) provides the precise terms of the agreement for a given recipient.

With option (a) you can prepare just one SPDX file that can be delivered to all
recipients and essentially achieve your "DEFAULT" reference without adding the
default keyword to the SDPX spec. With options (b) and (c) one would need to
generate and deliver a custom SPDX file with each software delivery but you
contain the customization to the SPDX file (and more specifically to the
LicenseRef-23 record) as opposed to all the source files.

Is this the problem you are looking to address?

Regards,
- Mark