>> * 1866 of these files have no copyright or license information.
>> *  127 of these files have a pointer to the COPYING file at the top-level.
>> *   13 of these files are copyright by 'Alex Rozin'
>> *    2 of these files are copyright by 'Tali Rozon'
>> *    1 directory (disman/expression) seems to be proprietary.

>> Some number of files in net-snmp-5.7.3/apps/ are only under the CMU
>> copyright and license.

>> Some number of files in net-snmp-5.7.3/apps/snmpnetstat are under a
>> BSD-3-Clause license.

Mark B's analysis above provides yet another data point on why the concept  of
a single package (top) level license is not as useful as many would like to
think. In fact, the number one value proposition of SPDX is that it provides
the best representation of a package's licensing. That is, it provides a single
place to look and understand the licensing for 100s (1000s) of files contained
within a package. It is also particularly helpful  in the cases where it shows
that files are missing important license notices. The consideration that the
following link:
       http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/about/license.html
represents the licensing of the package is ill-conceived. This example also
demonstrates that  SPDX is a "must have" licensing infrastructure component as
opposed to a "nice to have". This example represents more the norm rather than
the exception. This is especially true with highly successful projects that
borrow (build on) open source from other projects under different licensing.
Composite licensing is a good thing but it needs to be better managed by the
open source movement at large and SPDX is an important component of the
solution. The license expression language is particularly good at describing
licensing of individual files (both source and binary) but it is not
particularly good at describing the licensing of a package - which is (I hope)
one of the next areas to focus on in 2017.

- Mark G.

Mark Gisi | Wind River | Director, Open Source & Software Assurance
Tel (510) 749-2016 | Fax (510) 749-4552