A good news came in yesterday: SPDX has been accepted as a mentoring
organization for the Google Summer of Code 2017 thanks to Gary's hard
work. I look forward to contribute as an admin and mentor!

See https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6438746388955136/

Practically we should expect to have a couple or a few students
allocated to work and contribute to SPDX tools and technologies and
this is a great validation and recognition of the project and the
community efforts.

The next important date for the GSOC is March 20, 2017 when students
can start applying and submit their project proposals.

You can see all the accepted orgs here:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/
The Linux foundation open printing project is also an accepted organization.

As a side note, http://aboutcode.org which is nexB's FOSS master
project has also been accepted as a mentoring organization and we have
several SPDX-related projects ideas there too:
https://github.com/nexB/aboutcode/wiki/GSOC-2017

--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne