Hello SPDX LegalTeam,

I am an RSE working at the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) in Potsdam, Germany. I am involved in working groups in Helmholtz that deal with Research Software Engineering aspects, and am also the maintainer of the Helmholtz Research Software Directory (https://helmholtz.software). We generally encourage the usage of SPDX identifiers for software.

I noticed that there exists one identifier for EUPL-1.1 [1] and EUPL-1.2 [2] respectively, although the licenses specify that code can be redistributed also under later versions of that license unless it is explicitly stated otherwise. Here is an example from EUPL-1.2 (clause 5, "Copyleft clause"):

> If the Licensee distributes or communicates copies of the Original Works or Derivative Works, this Distribution or Communication will be done under the terms of this Licence or of a later version of this Licence unless the Original Work is expressly distributed only under this version of the Licence — for example by communicating 'EUPL v. 1.2 only'.

The GPL licenses are separated into "-only" and "-or-later" identifiers. Is there a specific reason why this was not applied to the EUPL identifiers? Would it be possible to replace the existing identifiers with EUPL-1.x-only and EUPL-1.x-or-later identifiers?

The EUPL-1.0 is not affected.

Kind regards,

Christian Meeßen

[1] EUPL-1.1: https://spdx.org/licenses/EUPL-1.1.html