From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Dick Hardt
Sent: Sat 9/30/2006 4:57 PM
To: specs@openid.net
Subject: [PROPOSAL] request nonce and name

Motivating Use Case
----------------------------
It is useful for an RP to know that a response to a request has
already been processed and is not stale.
A standard way to do this that can be incorporated into the Libraries
would simplify things for the RP implementor

Proposed Implementation
-----------------------------------
1) Allow the RP to OPTIONALLY include a nonce in the request. The
nonce would be of the same format as the nonce in the response from
the IdP. The IdP will include the nonce from the RP in its response.

2) rename openid.nonce to openid.response_id and name the request
nonce openid.request_id

Alternate: call them openid.response_stamp and openid.request_stamp

naming comments:
+ openid.nonce is not in use at this time, so easy to rename
+ id or stamp may make more sense to the average developer (mainly
crypto and security people know what a nonce is, I have to explain to
most developers)