On 13-Oct-06, at 12:20 PM, Drummond Reed wrote:

>>> Marius, see the analysis at
>>> http://www.lifewiki.net/openid/ConsolidatedDelegationProposal, now
>>> updated
>>> to include Josh's lastest thinking from
>>> http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2006-October/000357.html.
>>>
>>> In sum, not being able to send the IdP-specific identifier: a)
>>> forces the
>>> IdP to redo resolution, which is unnecessary and slows performance,
>>> and
>>
>> Not necessarily. When you register with the IdP most likely you will
>> claim all your portable identifiers with this IdP, so the IdP knows
>> about them.
>
> With XRI i-name/i-number infrastructure that's neither practical nor
> desirable. With XRIs, users control their own synonyms, i.e., I can
> register
> a delegated i-name within a specific community (for example, at
> @example.community I could register @example.community*drummond)
> and then
> point that at my personal i-name (=drummond.reed) and the IdP for
> =drummond.reed will never know -- and doesn't need to know. I could
> go to
> any RP and login in as @example.community*drummond, the RP will
> resolve this
> to =drummond.reed (through the way XRI resolution automatically
> handles
> reference processing -- let me know if you want more info about
> this), and
> end out storing the CanonicalID i-number for =drummond.reed (which is
> =!F83.62B1.44F.2813).

I don't see the point if hiding some of your portable identifiers
(@example.community*drumond) from your IdP and at the same time
disclose it to all the RPs you deal with.

If you are using a portable identifier and you have an IdP then it
seems normal to me to trust your IdP to know your portable
identifier. I would be more nervous about all the RP knowing my IdP
issued identifier.

What is not practical about registering your portable identifier with
your IdP?

>>> b) prevents the protocol from being stateless.
>>
>> How? The RP deals only with the portable identifier and this is the
>> only thing the IdP sends back. Why do you need state?
>
> It follows from the above. But this is so important that I'm going
> to send a
> separate message about it.

I can't see it, sorry.

If the RP is indexing your account based on your i-number then it
could send your i-number to your IdP for authentication, but it can
also send your i-name. I don't think it matters. The IdP should know
both and it can lookup your account with any of them. What state must
the RP save? The RP has both your i-name and i-number as well (unless
you are registering), so when the response comes back it can look you
up with any.

Marius