On 16-Oct-06, at 3:13 PM, Josh Hoyt wrote:

> On 10/16/06, Marius Scurtescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Sorting of unicode strings while not terrible hard it is not trivial
>> either. Why bother? The list of signed fields gives an explicit
>> ordering, this is good enough IMO.
>
> Sorting by UTF-8-encoded octet sequence is easy.

This is not the same as alphabetical ordering though.

It could be the same in most cases, and probably it is for the
current set of defined open id parameter names. For alphabetical
ordering you have to get into locales and collations.

>> Why would be an alphabetically sorted list better?
>
> Just so that there is an obvious one way to do it, so that it's easier
> to get right, if I understand David's motivation. It's also easier to
> make clear in the spec.

If ordering is not important then you are guaranteed to get it right.
The spec could recommend alphabetical ordering, but I don't see the
need for a must.

Marius