Thanks David! ;-)

Patrick, as you point out, Identity Provider is a well understood
term in SAML and WS-*. Here is the definition from SAML 2.0 [1]

Identity Provider: A kind of service provider that creates,
maintains, and manages
identity information for principals and provides principal
authentication to other service providers within a federation, such
as with web browser profiles.

Per the definition, Identity Provider implies a federation or trust
relationship between the IdP and RP. Additionally, IdPs often provide
other assertions about the user.

In OpenID Authentication, there is no trust relationship requirement
between the IdP and RP, and the only thing the IdP asserts is a
binding between the user and an identifier (OpenID URL or i-name).

As people familiar with SAML / WS-* review the OpenID Authentication
specification, there has been some confusion on exactly what the IdP
does in OpenID. To make it clear that an IdP in OpenID is not the
same as typical deployments in SAML, we decided to call it the OpenID
Provider, which is more precise, and reduces ambiguity.

-- Dick

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/11886/saml-
glossary-2.0-os.pdf