Martin Atkins wrote:

>The obvious approach is to specify a way to do DH associations over an
>HTTP authentication protocol. However, it's not clear to me how to do a
>multi-stage authentication handshake efficiently over HTTP auth, since
>HTTP authentication is based around sending the request, getting back a
>401 Unauthorized response and then repeating the request in its entirety
>with appropriate authentication credentials.

A client can send an Authorization: header with any request, if it has
prior knowledge of what scheme(s) the server will support and/or whether
a given URI is protected.

A server can provide a WWW-Authenticate: header on any request (say,
HEAD or OPTIONS) and a client can peek at it to see what authentication
schemes the server supports.  But there's no (standard) way to tell
whether a particular URI + method requires authorization without just
trying it.  Services such as GData get around this by documenting which
URIs and which methods require what type of authorization; could that be
sufficient?

Our Atom service currently provides the standard Allow: header to tell a
client what methods are allowed for a given URI + authorization
context.  The set of allowed methods changes depending on authorization
or lack thereof.

--
John Panzer
System Architect