So sitting up here in Seattle with Drummond and we're chatting about the
"Canonical ID" approach to the identifier recycling and "losing"
problem.  What I describe below is an example which shows four
identifiers that I use daily, one of them being persistent and that I
know will never be reassigned.

http://daveman692.livejournal.com - reassignable
http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?userid=1356357 - persistent
http://www.davidrecordon.com - do I want to own it forever?
http://openid.aol.com/daveman692 - reassignable

What I'd like to markup is that my three reassignable identifiers so
that they all use my LiveJournal userid URL as the persistent
identifier.  It should be noted that also marking them as synonyms to
each other follows the same sort of process using the "<Ref/>" tag in my
various XRDS files.

It should also be noted that the identifier you're using as your
persistent identifier must allow you to add references back to your
other identifiers.  While this certainly is a specialized feature, we
envision that OpenID Providers will create a persistence service both
guaranteeing the URL will not be reassigned as well as providing means
to add additional references.  Many of the existing i-brokers already do
this by using OpenID to prove you control the references that you're
adding.  You could also, don't shudder too hard Dick :), use an i-number
as your persistent identifier via this method though on the flip-side
could also use a fragment if that is the approach someone would like to
take.

The nice thing is that this method is extremely flexible in terms of
what you use as your persistent identifier in different cases.  I fully
guarantee I haven't done a great job of explaining all of this, but
hopefully the main point gets across.

--David (and Drummond)

http://daveman692.livejournal.com
<XRDS>