The specification makes a suggestion (section 7.3 bullet 1) to use a proxy
for XRI resolution instead of implementing the XRI resolution protocol in
the Relaying Party. I am not clear as to what extent can / should the proxy
be used for. For example, it can be used to turn '=eran' into an XRDS
document:

http://xri.net/=eran?_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml

Or it can be used to retrieve an OpenID 1.0 service (BTW, this does not work
at xri.net) and save some effort in parsing an XRDS file:

http://xri.freexri.com/=eran?_xrd_r=application/xrd+xml
<http://xri.freexri.com/=eran?_xrd_r=application/xrd+xml&_xrd_t=http%3a%2f%2
fopenid.net%2fsignon%2f1.0> &_xrd_t=http%3a%2f%2fopenid.net%2fsignon%2f1.0

And last, it can be used to avoid XRI and XRDS altogether (which I doubt is
the intention -but one which might be suggested to RP not implementing XRI
if it is indeed optional):

http://xri.net/=eran

Which will redirect to an HTML page with OpenID tags (assuming the RP
doesn't implement Yadis either).

However, when using the Yadis, the RP still has to have all the logic of
parsing a full XRDS file which can have multiple XRD elements, multiple
services with priority, and multiple URIs with priority (and append
instructions). Does that mean that proxies should only be used for the first
option?

=eran