Hans,

Yes, the Client App is expected to implement all the important parts of an
OpenID 2.0 Relying Party.  This means it will support XRI, Yadis, and HTML
discovery.

It's unlikely systems will have clashing namespaces, but is possible (most
corporate user accounts don't begin with "=", "@", "+", etc, and most don't
use a format similar to URLs).  For a PAM implementation, the system would
likely give priority to all other authentication types, and fall back to
OpenID if there are no matches.  Or, the implementor may wish to prompt the
user for the authentication type, or provide instructions to add a special
prefix to the account name.

As for the wording in step 4, oops.  Thanks for catching that.  It should be
"The user is prompted for their verification key, which is typed in and
submitted."

I have never personally done a PAM module, so I'm not a good fit.  I think
it would work very well though.  Know anyone who might want to give it a
try?

Thanks,

John