Hi James,

On 17-Oct-07, at 2:42 AM, James Henstridge wrote:

> I have a few more questions about the update_url feature of OpenID
> attribute exchange that I feel could do with answers in the
> specification.
>
> For the questions, imagine an OpenID RP with the following properties:
>
> 1. The RP provides a unified login/signup workflow, so that if a user
> signs in with a previously unused OpenID a new account is created.
>
> 2. The RP does not manage any user details, instead requesting them
> via attribute exchange during login, and through updates provided via
> the openid.ax.update_url protocol.

If the RP does not store any user attributes (and requests them with
each transaction from the OP), why does it want to be updated when
the user changes an attribute value at their OP?

Maybe I'm not understanding the flow and what the RP is supposed to
do with a new value sent to the update_url.

> 3. Some portion of users enter an OP identifier URL into the login
> page on the RP (i.e. they are using directed identity).
>
> 4. The RP does not want to ask the user to authenticate twice, even if
> they are creating an account.
>

> With this setup, it is highly likely that the RP will send multiple
> openid.ax.update_url requests for some users.

I believe this happens because of the incompatible RP requirements
you listed at step 2.

> For standard authentication requests, the RP will know whether it has
> previously requested updates, but in the directed identity case we
> don't know what claimed ID will be picked at the time of making the
> request.  So in some cases the RP will ask for updates for an OpenID
> that they are already receiving updates for.
>
> So the question is what should an OP do if it receives multiple
> requests for updates for a particular claimed identifier with the same
> ax.update_url or realm value?  Should it treat the latest request as
> superseding the previous ones?

If the (claimed_id, update_url) pair is the same the OP already has
it on file and doesn't need to do anything extra when processing the
update_url in the fetch request.

> [I am not sure whether checking (claimed_id, realm) or (claimed_id,
> ax.update_url) pairs would be more appropriate in the above].

Johnny