From: Paul E. Jones [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:42 PM
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav; specs@openid.net
Subject: RE: Using email address as OpenID identifier

Eran,

You're entirely correct that this is not an OpenID issue, per se.  In fact, not
a single word of text would need to be changed in the current v2 specs, as far
as I'm concerned.

But, I do think that it will take some of the core OpenID team members to put a
stake in the ground and say, "this is the convention that we'll follow."  What
needs to happen then is perhaps an extension written that explains how to
convert an email address to a URL.  Using NAPTR records seems like the simplest
way to do it to me, but I'm open to suggestions.

Perhaps it is important to say, though, that I do not think it requires the
e-mail providers to get on board with this (in my view) simpler notation.  I
could use an ID like [EMAIL PROTECTED] and that should work, if myopenid.com
would publish the appropriate NAPTR record.  I could also insert NAPTR records
into the packetizer.com DNS server that would allow me to use my email address,
but point at my preferred OpenID provider.  In short, just because the [EMAIL
PROTECTED] syntax is used does not mean that it necessarily an e-mail address:
it could be, but more importantly, it just follows that familiar format
documented in RFC 822.

Paul