Darren, I would challenge you by saying the following:

1. In the same sense that it is unreasonable for OpenID to satisfy every
identity use case on the planet, you also shouldn't expect a static
analysis toolkit to do the same either.

2. Which is worse, having to sort through false positives or to not
perform static analysis at all and have OpenID fail once some bad guy
busts the implementation so badly that everyone runs away from OpenID?

3. A small correction on OWASP. OWASP DOES perform analysis on OPEN
SOURCE implementations at no cost. If you have a commercial version,
then you need to pay. The open source implementations simply need to
submit their code to http://owasp.fortify.com to get the process
started.

4. The link above is merely hosted by Fortify and they provide the
tools. The actual execution of scanning isn't even done by Fortify
employees but other members of the OWASP community.

5. FYI, I am the project leader for several OWASP projects and am the
chapter leader for Hartford (one of the largest). Our next meeting is on
Tuesday at 5pm Eastern where we will have Mary Ruddy of Higgins
presenting. Our meetings are free to attend and for this one, we will
also be webcasting it. The webinar information will be sent out on
Monday to the mailing list. Subscribe at:
to attend in person, here is the information:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Hartford

6. Engaging a reputable third party isn't a bad idea but keep in mind
that "part" of their assessment will use the same automated tools. Firms
I like include Security Compass (http://www.securitycompass.com) Artec
(http://www.artecgroup.net) and Cigital (http://www.cigital.com)