The specs list feels like a better home for this thread. :)

--David

----- "Nat Sakimura" <sakim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> At XRI TC of OASIS Open, we are talking about the signing method for XRD.
> The current trend in the TC is that to use a constrained form of XML DSig,
> which is found in the SAML Core spec. We are almost deciding on it,
> but I would like to hear from the community that if it would be OK.
>
> The reason I ask this was that when we started to discuss the
> signing method for XRD back in November last year, we were
> hearing from the community that XML DSig is too complex and
> hard to use by some developers. That's why we came up with
> "Simple Sign" which basically signes the blob without any
> cannonicalization.
>
> e.g.,
>
> <SXRD sig="signature" sigalg=" http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1 "
> certuri="pem file location" data="BASE64 of the payload" />
>
> Where:

    • XRD/@data : Base64 encoded XRD to be signed. >
    • XRD/@sig : Signature taken over the original data (before Base64
encoding).
    • XRD/@certuri: (Optional) Certificate location.Either XRD/@certuri or
XRD/@certs MUST be present.
    • XRD/@certs : (Optional) The content of XRD/@certuri.If both XRD/@certuri
and XRD/@certs are present, XRD/@certs takes precidence.
    • XRD/@sigalg : (Optional) Signature Algorithm. Defaults to rsa-sha1.

> When we started writing spec on such thing, we found that we are re-writing a
> lot of things that are already in XML DSig.
> As the result, XML DSig with new canonicalization method=no-canonicalization
> was discussed and in the end,
> it seems the discussion precipitated to "After all, constrained XML DSig
> would be good enough."
> Theoretically, it looks good.
>
> The remaining question is then the reality check, such as:

    • Is it widely implementable, in each scripting language and hosting
environment including Google AppEngine, Force.com, etc.?
    • Would the community feel that this is simple enough? >

I would appreciate your insight/opinion/input into this matter.