I fully agree with Jose-Carlos. Last year was the "Year of Brazil in France" and the @rt Outsiders Festival was dedicated to "Brazilian New media art". In the catalogue, that I guest edited, I included a strong focus on the Brazilian pionneers, such as Cordeiro, Palatnik, but also Oiticica, etc. We also included 2 texts specially about 2 organisations in Brazil that focus on exhibiting new media art. It is only 2, because ... catalogs have limits in term of pages ;-) The catalog, for those of you who might be interested, has been published by Anomalie/Hyx and the texts are both in French and English. Its title is "://Brasil". All the authors are brazilian. It includes texts by the artists in the exhibition and texts about the currents trends in Brazil and historical perspectives that I just mentionned. The exhibition, curated by Jean-Luc Soret, included current Brazilian new media art and an historical piece by Esmeraldo (kinetic work, without motors but based on electro-static electricity). And it was important, as a curatorial statement, to show that new media art exist outside the "usual paths" with a high level of creativity, understanding, etc. In this case it was Brazil. But Riccardo dal Farra has done a whole research (with the Langlois Foundation) on computer-electronic-music in South America that encompasses many more countries.

Also, on the Leonardo/Olats web site, in the Pioneers & Pathbreakers (Pionniers et Précurseurs) project, we have information and documentation about Palatnik. I know that this site is mostly in French, but still, it does exist and shows that "new media art" is not only "Western" and that pionneers were also, in this case, in South America.

Annick

Jose-Carlos Mariategui wrote:
Dear Chris and friends:

I just came up with this interesting announcement of the International
Symposium on Curating New Media Art.  Yes, but it is Western-side
International Symposium, not a real International one.  It is a pity that
though there are so many projects going on at a wide (real) International
Scale, there is still the need to "Westernize" as much as possible the arts.
This is similar to the reasons why in the majority of books on the so-called
history of New Media there is not a single discussion on what happened
outside Europe, Japan or the USA.  This reflects a conformism and lack of a
real consideration of the ways in which new media art has been evolving,
quite successfully in many cases, through out the world, and I say the world
(including the so-called emergent 'others' that in economic terms
represented in 2005 more than half world's GDP).

So when you discuss of point out questions around 'learning from pioneers',
to what pioneers are you referring, to the semi-blind western sight?   Is
that what makes a good curator of media art?   I believe that one of the
most important points around the curatorial process is to understand a
context and the development of a history (in that sense perhaps the
work/efforts of Oliver Grau are worth mentioning) but lets be OPEN, not just
in OpenSource terms, lets admit that media art and therefore its curatorial
practice is a wide international activity and not just a bunch a friends
that talk about the same stuff over and over again.

I hope we try in the future to talk about the concept of International in a
much more real (or critical) sense, and not just by defining it from one
side of the world.

Jose-Carlos Mariategui