Begin forwarded message:

From: badco news <badco_n...@badco.hr>
Date: January 30, 2012 8:45:19 PM GMT+01:00
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: BADco. // OPEN CALL for SYMPOSIUM "Actionable Image: Agency of Image, Performance of Body, Apparatus of Spectating", March 16-17, 2012, Zagreb

BADco. newsletter

---

BADco. extends an *open call for contributions* for

*Actionable Image:
Agency of Image, Performance of Body, Apparatus of Spectating*

/symposium and publication/

When and where:
March 16-17, 2012 in Zagreb, Croatia

This symposium and its topic are a continuation of BADco.'s artistic
interest to relate performance and image. More concretely, it was
motivated by our most recent work "Responsibility for Things Seen"
that was presented in 2011 within the Croatian participation at the
Biennale di Venezia. The work required us, in the absence of
performers in the six-months exhibition, to pursue the idea of
'theater by other means' and to custom develop a database video system
that unfolds a particular nexus of body, image and technology.

Who can apply:
If you are a scholar or practitioner working on the nexus of
performance, image and technology, if you are working in or between
any number of fields such as, but not exclusively: performing arts,
visual arts, cinema and expanded cinema, human-machine interaction,
technological performance, architecture, neuroscience, we are inviting
you to present your research interests in form of a presentation
and/or participate in the debates at our symposium "Actionable Image:
Agency of Image, Performance of Body, Apparatus of Spectating".

When and where:
The symposium will take place on 16-17 March 2011 in Zagreb, Croatia.
The  artistic programme will start on the 15th.

What is the topic:
With "Actionable Image" we propose to explore the experimental
encounters between the image and the body -- two modalities of
organized materiality, agency and receptivity affecting each other,
two modes of expression whose encounters in our age are predominantly
arranged, composed and mediated by means of visual technologies.

We tend to subscribe to the critique of the domination of image and
the scopic regime: the unebbing repetition of hegemonic
representations, the homogenization of mediatized social experience,
the habituation of sensory apparatus to technological artifice.
However, understanding the encounter of image and body as a field of
performance allows us to explore this encounter beyond the adequation
of sensory perception to technological apparatus, of social behaviors
to reproduced images. A mis-encounter where incompatibilites between
technology and habit, excess of agency on the side of image or on the
side of spectators, interventions in the transmission process, strange
situations of viewing emerge, that encounter becomes an indeterminate
field of negotiation, slippage, misperformance, deterritorialization
and reterritorialization... In short, a field of divergences that are
themselves frequent subject to experimentation in art.
With this other scene of image in mind, we calls for contributions
that will bring their analysis to bear on situations of problematic
spectating, strange apparatuses and dispositifs of viewing, agency of
images, strategies of performing images and other issues relevant to
the nexus of body, image and technology.

The symposium and attendant artistic programme will include a.o.,
contributions by artists and scholars such as Jonathan Beller, Maaike
Bleeker, Vlatka Horvat, Stephen Zepke and BADco.

What are the keywords:
performance and image, performed image, image in performance, image
and corporeality, agency of image, actionable image, algorithmic
cinema, image and interface, iconicity of image, apparatuses and
dispositifs of viewing, cinematic viewing vs theatrical viewing, image
and presence/absence...

How to apply and when is the deadline:
We are looking for contributions of various formats, including but not
limited to papers, short presentations, demonstrations and
participation in the debate, up to 30 minutes in length. If you want
to participate in the symposium, please send us a short note stating
your topical interests, discussion points, format, etc. and a short
description of your background. While we cannot cover your expenses,
we can help you find convenient travel arrangement and affordable
accommodation, and we will do our best to address your interests and
provide an insightful debate.

All proposals should be sent in by 10 February 2012 to: t...@badco.hr.
You'll be notified of our decision shortly thereafter.

---

Publication:
A special issue of Frakcija Performing Arts Journal will accompany the
symposium. We are looking for contributions of those taking part in
the symposium, but also others who cannot join us in Zagreb but are
researching the topic in academic or artistic formats. Articles,
essays and artist's page(s) proposals will be considered. The
submission deadline is March 2, publication June 2012. All proposals
(and any questions on submission) should be sent to: iv...@badco.hr

---

The symposium and attendant artistic program are organized in
collaboration with Multimedia Institute/MAMA and the curatorial
collective What, How and for Whom/WHW.

---
---

BADco.

http://badco.hr

ba...@badco.hr

---

BADco. podrzali / BADco. is supported by:

Gradski ured za kulturu Grada Zagreba
City Office for Culture Zagreb

Ministarstvo kulture RH
Ministry of Culture, Croatia

---

BADco. je suorganizator LABO21 - Evropske platforme za
interdisciplinarna istrazivanja umjetnickih metodologija partnera
BADco. (Zagreb), umjetnickog centra BUDA (Kortrijk), Laboratoriuma
(Antwerp) i Sveucilista za cirkus i ples (Stockholm). Platforma LABO21
je podrzana od programa Kultura Evropske zajednice.

BADco. is co-organizer of LABO21 - European Platform for
Interdisciplinary Research on Artistic Methodologies, a partner
project of BADco. (Zagreb), BUDA Arts Center (Kortrijk), Laboratorium
(Antwerp) and University of Circus and Dance (Stockholm). With the
support of the Culture Programme of the European Union.

---

Sa ove liste se mozete odjaviti u bilo koje vrijeme tako da nam
odgovorite sa subjectom "unsubscribe".

---

To unsubscribe at any time reply with the word "unsubscribe" in the
subject line.