Sorry for any posting...

Children of Prometheus

“The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a
limit to infinite error.” ― Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo

Date: Saturday 1 July - Sunday 20 August 2017
Venue: Furtherfield Gallery (London, in the heart of Finsbury park)
Private View: Friday 30 June, 6 - 8pm (Register - http://bit.ly/2siXRpv)
Open Sat-Sun, 11am - 5pm or by appointment

Featuring Anna Dumitriu, Carla Gannis, AOS (Art is Open Source), Simon
McLennan, Alan Sondheim.

Humans have always exploited the raw materials this planet has to offer - with
the power to change the nature of things, whether physical or virtual. With
constant re-edits and enhancements we transform everything we touch as part of
our evolutionary mutation. In Greek mythology Prometheus was a demigod and a
Titan worshipped by craftsmen. Greek Titans were ultimately honoured as the
ancestors of humans, who in turn were attributed with “the invention of the
arts and magic" (Graves 1964).

The artists featured in Children of Prometheus at Furtherfield Gallery explore
the possible consequences of our scientific and technological imaginings for us
as individuals, our society and the world at large. It considers the roles of
our arts and science traditions, and how they are played out while examining:
governance, posthumanism, biohacking, and biopolitics.

This exhibition is produced in partnership with LABoral, in Gijon, as an
extension of the Monsters of the Machine exhibition 18 Nov 2016 - 21 May 2017.
Based on Mary Shelley’s classic novel Frankenstein written 200 years ago which
continues to offer a lens through which to examine current practices in arts
and technology and how they shape society today.

Note: Robert Graves. Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology. Paul Hamlyn, London.
5th Edition, 1964. P.92.

More info...
http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/exhibition/children-prometheus

Marc Garrett

Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.
Art, technology and social change, since 1996
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery & Commons in the park

Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQhttp://www.furtherfield.org/gallery
Currently writing a PhD at Birkbeck University, London
https://birkbeck.academia.edu/MarcGarrett

Curating, Touring Exhibition
Monsters of the Machine:Frankenstein in the 21st Century
At Laboral, Spain until Sept 2017 http://bit.ly/2eGdpw1
Visiting other countries soon...