From: Date: Jul 9, 2020
Subject: CFP: 4 Sessions at AAH Annual Conference 21

Birmingham, July 14 - April 17, 2021
Deadline: Oct 19, 2020

[4] Video Art and Africa

Session Convenors:
Katarzyna Falęcka, Centre d'Études Maghrébines à Tunis (CEMAT), falecka.katarz...@caorc.org
Gabriella Nugent, UCL, gabriella.nugent...@ucl.ac.uk

This session invites paper proposals that explore the deployment of video art by artists from Africa. Developed in the 1960s, video art emerged in the era of decolonisation, and its accessible technologies were later taken up by many people who had stories to tell. It is a medium of relative historical recentness and today favoured by artists operative in global contemporary networks. However, in comparison to the vast and growing literature on African cinema, there is relatively little scholarship on video art from Africa. This session seeks to explore how artists from Africa have specifically employed the languages enabled by video, such as montage, the loop, repetition and duration, to work through both the distant and more recent pasts in Africa.

We are particularly interested in video works that explore histories of colonialism, decolonisation and nation-building projects. The archival turn in art has led artists to rework historical documents through video to elucidate local experiences and to contest old and clichéd assumptions with something previously unthought, unheard or unseen. These practices raise questions as to who owns history and how historical documents can be performed within the distinct needs and expectations of the present. Simultaneously, video has stepped in to address feminist histories, questions of labour, race and class, as well as transregional alliances. The panel thus invites proposals for papers which explore the potential, as well as possible shortcomings, of video art for addressing these histories.

Abstract max. 250 words. Deadline 19 October 2020.

Please email your paper proposal to the session convenors using the Paper Proposal Form (https://bit.ly/3eVYWZu).

Link to the session information: https://eu-admin.eventscloud.com/website/2065/video-art-and-africa/

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: 4 Sessions at AAH Annual Conference 21 (Birmingham, 14-17 Apr 21). In: ArtHist.net, Jul 9, 2020. <https://arthist.net/archive/23395>.

Post COVID-19 plans
Whilst it’s difficult to know for certain how the current and future situation around COVID-19 might evolve, the Association for Art History does intend to host a 2021 Annual Conference. This will either be as a physical event in Birmingham, as a virtual event or, most likely, as a hybrid combination of physical and digital. We will be monitoring government guidelines and the situation closely and will look to make a decision on physical or virtual no later than 1 December 2020. A physical conference would adhere to all government and university health and safety rules, and we are already working towards a programme that takes existing social-distancing measures into account. If we have to pursue a virtual-only event it would not be compressed into the exact same four days, so as to accommodate different time zones and minimise screen fatigue.