"To see and to be seen.
Artificial Intelligence and Human Perception"

„Sehen und gesehen werden
Künstliche Intelligenz und menschliche Wahrnehmung“

Curated by Timo Kahlen

Invitation to the exhibition preview on Sunday, September 3, 2023 from 3 - 6 pm
(Performance at 15:30)

Exhibition from September 3 - September 24, 2023
open every Sunday from 15 - 18 pm
(Performance at 15:30)

Ruine der Künste Berlin
Hittorfstr. 5, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
U3 Freie Universität
Free admission

Press Release:

We are treading on thin ice. Will AI, Artificial Intelligence, take over the
way we see, feel and perceive, experience and shape our world in the future?
And what about the grey areas of the mind: what we (don't) think and do, what
we (don't) feel and want, what we dream of and (occasionally) destroy? Will all
this be read and seen, interpreted and stored, digitally mapped, reproduced,
replicated and recreated by machines in the future? Will AI 'ruin' the
foundations of art and culture? Or will human creativity, the individual urge
to create, the intentional imperfection, prevail - at a time when the ethical,
social, copyright and privacy issues of AI are still unresolved, or at best in
limbo? Just like the concept of 'artificial intelligence' itself.

Initiated and curated by Timo Kahlen, the exhibition at the Ruine der Künste
Berlin is a mind game: it drafts a field of tension between AI and human
design, plays with the reciprocal relationship between pre- and after-images,
reflects on the relationship between immaterial idea and material
representation.

In the exhibition, a total of 40 hand-drawn portraits by 40 different, as yet
unknown artists, fascinating interpretations and variants of one and the same
photographic source image (a series of self-portraits by the Polish artist
Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz from the 1930s), are juxtaposed with more than 40
(out of countless) generations of digital images created in just a few seconds
by artificial intelligence: all of them portraits of an anonymous, early female
protagonist of photography at the time of its invention (1839). Similar to the
creation of the drawings, the digital images of the person(s) portrayed are
based on a single source: a prompt in the command line of the AI used, only a
few lines long, briefly describing the desired and fictitious result. Thus, the
resulting images are not 'photographs' in the strict sense of the word, but
diffuse memories, generated 'summa summarum' by the AI, consistently
self-similar and self-referential, yet in part convincingly 'alive', by means
of a diffusion process: that is, from the sum of all images machine-read,
'learnt' and 'seen' in the internet.

The precisely staged current exhibition at the Ruine der Künste Berlin is
complemented by a live performance (every Sunday at 3:30 pm).

You are cordially invited to the exhibition opening on
on Sunday, September 3, 2023 from 3 - 6 pm.

Admission is free of charge.

Open also by appointment
at m...@timo-kahlen.de