Hi Paul,
My guess is that you haven't set your /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file correctly
and so you haven't successfully logged on to your ISP. If you don't log on,
then you don't get the /etc/ppp/resolve.conf file generated.
If my login was "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and my password was "letmein" then my
chap-secrets should read something like....
[ppp]# cat chap-secrets
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client server secret IP addresses
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * letmein *
[ppp]#
You also need to set the same username via the "user" parameter in your
/etc/ppp/peers/adsl as below:
[peers]# cat adsl
..(output truncated)....
user "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
..(output truncated)....
[peers]#
If this doesn't solve the problem then more detailed logs will help. To get
these you will need to change the kdebug value in /etc/ppp/peers/adsl from 1
to 7 to get more debug on outgoing and incoming packets.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Roger
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Sanderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 27 May 2002 14:58
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [speedtouch] Redhat 7.3 cannot connect
Hi
First off I am new to Linux so please accept apologies for possibly dumb
questions
I cannot connect to outside world after installing drivers - extract for
/var/log/messages below indicates (to me) that modem is working OK. I
have looked through archive and a previous message indicates that I
should get /etc/ppp/resolve.conf file created when I connect to
openworld - this is not happening
ifconfig shows ppp0 interface with no traffic
If I try and ping a known ip I get "network unreachable"
Can anyone show me where I might be going wrong
Cheers
Paul
May 27 14:21:51 andromeda kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on
bus1/2, assigned device number 3
May 27 14:21:51 andromeda kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
0x6b9/0x4061) is not claimed by any active driver.
May 27 14:21:54 andromeda /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB
product 6b9/4061/0
May 27 14:22:07 andromeda modem_run[1960]: modem_run version 1.1rc2
started by root uid 0
May 27 14:22:09 andromeda kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 27 14:22:09 andromeda kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3
ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
May 27 14:22:31 andromeda modem_run[1960]: ADSL synchronization has been
obtained
May 27 14:22:31 andromeda modem_run[1960]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s
down | 288 kbit/s up)
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppd[1993]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppd[1993]: Using interface ppp0
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppd[1993]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppoa3[1994]: PPPoA3 version 1.1rc2 started by
root (uid 0)
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppoa3[1994]: Control thread ready
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppoa3[2004]: ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem
stream ready
May 27 14:23:51 andromeda pppoa3[2005]: modem --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d)
stream ready
Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se desinscrire :
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe
Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe