Hi Nigel, the firmware loader is the same for the user mode and
kernel mode drivers, so this is not a kernel mode driver issue,
except that the firmware loader (modem_run) in the speedbundle
is rather old.

> Apologies if this has been seen before - didn't see it in the archives,
> possibly as I emailed from an unregistered address
>
> Hi,I have Fedora Core 1 installed, with kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl. I am
> using the KERNEL driver which gives me latency of  16-18 ms, with the
> pppoatm.so plugin. pppd is 2.4.1 - I remember having a somewhat hard time
> locating a fully working version of this plugin. I have the original frog
> modem.
>
> I then decided it was time to upgrade to FC2, so I installed the gold code,
> and got the speedtouch user-space driver working using
> speedtouch-1.3-2.i586.rpm   from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=32758&package_id=28264
> after just downloading the microcode from thomson.
>
> However I then downloaded kernel kernel-2.6.8-1.521.i586.rpm, and the modem
> no longer loaded firmware (amber light still on). I saw this referred to in
> http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/fc2_speedtouch_usb.html but did not see a
> real explanation.I also noticed the user space driver latency was higher, so
> would like to stick to the kernel driver, so now some questions:
>
>  * I also saw other RPMs at http://grumz.dyndns.org/ADSL_FC2, including a
> modified kernel - what kernel options were changed?
>  * The kernel driver page at http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/
> hasn't anything new for a year - is this still the right starting point
> (speedbundle 1.0) - but if so does it clash with FC2?

Yeah, I haven't found time to update the speedbundle or the web pages.
In fact I would be happy if someone took over maintenance of the
speedbundle and/or web pages.

> * What is it about 2.6.8-1.521 etc in FC2 updates that is preventing the
> user-space driver from working?

Bugs in the usb subsystem that have since been fixed, so try a more recent
kernel.

> * Does anyone have the kernel driver working under FC2 - and if so which
> pppoatm plugin (lots around) +pppd to use with FC2
> * What is "recommended" currently - user or kernel?

I recommend the kernel mode driver, but to be honest there's not much
difference between the two.

Ciao,

Duncan.