Clive Messer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get ADSL working with a Silver 330 Rev4 using
> speedtouch-1.3.1 on Fedora Core 2.
> The modem is recognised by the hotplug script but the issue seems to be
> with modem_run, which returns immediately and does not initialize the
> modem.

Hi,

>From speedtouch-1.3.1, modem_run locks a semaphore when it's run.
So, if the first run fails, you won't be able to easily run modem_run
again.
Duncan posted a tip to remove the semaphore: get the id from
/proc/sysvipc/sem, and try to remove it with "ipcrm sem id".
It would be nice to have a modem_run option to remove the semaphore,
and to remove it if the firmware loading fails.

Have you set the correct loader and firmware paths in speedtouch.conf
? If they're wrong, then modem_run will fail the first time and will
be locked.
You can add some debug options in the hotplug script (probably
/etc/hotplug/usb/speedtouch) to see what happens, for example :
exec > /dev/tty1 (or exec > /some-writable-file)
set -x

In Mandrakelinux, we got some other problems at boot because the usb
controller triggers speedtch modules loading very early, and the
hotplug script failed because it tried to set up a remover script, but
/var was read-only at this point.

If you fail to see what happens, then you can disable the hotplug
script (move it away from /etc/hotplug/usb) and try to use modem_run
once the system is booted.

Regards

--
Olivier Blin