Hi Gilles and Duncan

Thank you for your replies.  To answer your question first, Duncan: I
followed the instructions but do not have a connection as yet.

To answer your question, Gilles, I received the following response:

desktop:~$ ls -l /etc/ppp/*-secrets
-rw------- 1 root root 38 2007-09-19 23:52 /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
-rw------- 1 root root 38 2007-09-19 23:52 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

Does this help at all???