Hello,

Since I recently joined this list, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm
a technical writer at Enthought, where we're now using Sphinx for
documentation of our open-source libraries, as Gael and Chris C have
recently posted. (Hi Gael! Hi Chris! <waves>)

I'm very interested in the problem of online help for open source
applications. There isn't currently a help solution that provides
"traditional" help navigation and context-sensitive access, across
platforms and using completely open tools. For example, you can view
CHMs on non-Windows platforms, but you still need Microsoft's
proprietary compiler, and those viewers don't provide APIs for
context-sensitive access. Sphinx's standalone HTML is very close to
traditional help navigation, but still doesn't provide the
simultaneous access model that HTML Help does.

The only help format that I have found that provides traditional help
navigation AND is open source is called OmniHelp
(http://www.omsys.com/dcl/omnihelp.htm). Currently, the only tool that
generates this format is a proprietary tool called Mif2Go. The makers
of Mif2Go have released their runtime code for OmniHelp under the
LGPL, and have published a very helpful design report, here:
http://www.omsys.com/dcl/ohdesign/ (The default layout for OmniHelp is
butt-ugly, but I'm assuming that can be fixed with CSS.)

I am working on writing a builder for Sphinx that generates OmniHelp.
I have copied the HTMLHelpBuilder code, and am modifying it. Since I'm
working on this mostly in my spare time, and since I'm more of a
writer than a programmer, it's taking me a while, and my code will not
be the most elegant. I'm pretty close to having something that can
generate the TOC and index, and I'll share it when I reach that point.
The search will be trickier because OmniHelp's model for search is a
bit different from Sphinx's; possibly I'll make a config option for
which type to use.

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Janet Swisher