In order to turn off docutils HTML compact-list behavior (simulate
passing --no-compact-lists on the rst2html command line), I do the
following in sphinx/builders/__init__.py Builder.build(), right before
the environment is pickled:

    if self.config.html_compact_lists:
        self.env.settings['compact_lists'] = 1
    else:
        self.env.settings['compact_lists'] = 0

This seems kludgy to me. Is there a better way to override
docutils/writers/html4css1/__init__.py's
HTMLTranslator(nodes.NodeVisitor) behavior?