From: sphinx-dev@googlegroups.com [mailto:sphinx-...@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Max Battcher
Sent: 16 September 2010 21:33
To: sphinx-dev@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [sphinx-dev] Re: secondary windows or hidden sections in
html output

On 9/16/2010 4:15, Alastair Dent wrote:
> Just re-read your email, and I'm not sure how this would work.
>
> In html, I'd have two divs, something like this:

> href="javascript:toggleBlock('002')" target="_self">
>      Click here to see an example.</a></div>

> One is the link to expand or collapse the 2nd div.
>
> Without an extension, how do I end up with a link to the javascript?

The jQuery philosophy (although it isn't unique to jQuery as many other
js frameworks follow it in some form) here seems to differ from what you
are used to. It may be something for you to explore on your own.

But the idea often is to use the simplest, most meaningful (semantic)
HTML, such as:

default.</p>

Then let the script itself add the "boiler-plate" HTML it needs to
actually expand/hide the markup. The script itself will add the
expand/collapse links.

This philosophy is easier to integrate with reST/docutils/Sphinx than
the other. (It also downgrades better when viewed in a browser without
js support or with js turned off.) If you don't mind learning a new
approach to js/new js framework, such a philosophy could ultimately end
up saving you time in the long run than trying to maintain a custom reST
extension just to do js in the form that you are used to.

At least, that is my opinion.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net