We have a number of examples scripts in our FiPy package that consist
of a long doctest string and a little bit of boilerplate to allow
running the doctest as a script when invoked directly. This allows us
to combine prose, math, and runnable code all in one place.

Our Sphinx conf.py has an autosummary_generate list of index files in
the examples directory that read like::

  ------------------
  Diffusion Examples
  ------------------

  .. autosummary::
     :toctree: generated

     examples.diffusion.mesh1D
     examples.diffusion.mesh20x20
     examples.diffusion.circle

Previously (Sphinx 0.6.something?), the generated autosummary files
would be something like::

  examples.diffusion.mesh1D
  =========================

  .. automodule:: examples.diffusion.mesh1D

and our documentation would generate as desired, with the full
documentation rendered in Sphinxian glory.

Since upgrading to Sphinx 1.0.7, the generated autosummary files
read::

  examples.diffusion.mesh1D
  =========================

  .. currentmodule:: examples.diffusion

  .. autodata:: mesh1D

The resulting documentation is truncated to anywhere from 2 lines to
twenty or so, except in a few cases where it is included completely
for some reason.

I've been able to work around this by adding `:template: example.rst`
to my autosummary directives and declaring example.rst as::

  {{ fullname }}
  {{ underline }}

  .. automodule:: {{ module }}.{{ objname }}

but this seems somewhat meat-fisted.

Is there a better way to get autosummary to generate automodule
instead of autodata or, alternatively, to get all of my documentation
reported by autodata?