2011/8/31 Sebastian Rahlf <ba...@rotekroete.de>:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm using Sphinx's autodoc feature to document my API. For example::
>>>
>>>    DEFAULT_OPTION = 'default'
>>>    def do_something(msg, option=DEFAULT_OPTION):
>>>        print msg
>>>
>>> The generated documentation now shows the following signature:
>>>
>>>    do_something(msg, option='default')
>>>
>>> How can I tell Sphinx to keep the name of the constant value?
>>
>> Most likely you can't.  Python evaluates "DEFAULT_OPTION" during
>> import, thus the constant is long gone when Sphinx looks at the
>> *imported* module to extract documentation from it.
>>
>>> If at all possible, I'd like NOT to write all signature by hand again.
>>
>> Seems to be the only way.
>
> I feared as much. Thanks for the info though.

You may want to report this as issue to the Sphinx issue tracker.
Iirc Sphinx parses the source code itself, too, to extract
documentation for simple module and class attributes.  This could
probably be used to use the original function signatures, too, so the
Sphinx devs can probably easily add this feature.