Hi, Matt,

I don't think there is a way to spit out the value of the variable in core
Sphinx (though that would be useful). In your case, you probably want to build
a custom role processor
(http://www.doughellmann.com/articles/how-tos/sphinx-custom-roles/index.html).
Then you could include text like:

:app_url:`/my_app/api/application/`

to produce a link node with the correct URL using the config value as a prefix.

Doug