For now, I've downloaded the iftex.sty from the above referenced site and
added to the latex_additional_files list in the conf.py.  That seems to
work ok, but it is a pain to do this for all of the projects.

This new requirement looks like it was related to
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/2590.

I created an issue for this:
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/2639