This is where you need to learn about LaTeX.  Those commands include the
character '@', so you need "\makeatletter" before those commands and
"\makeatother" after those commands.  The @ sign is a special character in
LaTeX, so you need to tell the system that you are using it as a letter,
then put it back into the regular mode.  I don't recall the special terms
that I should be using here, but hopefully the point comes across.