Two new comments  -

1) I found another workaround, from the Sphinx GitHub site
(http://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/1618). Someone has built an
extension that builds prettier search results for your
site. https://github.com/TimKam/sphinx-pretty-searchresults

2) I'm wondering about a possible workaround - can I force the search
results to show only the page title? For some reason, this happens anyway
when I'm viewing my HTML files:

When I view my files locally in my browser (Chrome), the search result only
shows the page title, not the context.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LUhej_Ebcd0/WECSvfcleRI/AAAAAAAAAC0/kaDLAcaE2dIpgTFGdXr9FNLfh75zCt_5ACLcB/s1600/file_search.png>

When I view the same file on a web server over an HTTP connection, the
search result shows the markup of the file content.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m-PnlIdnYjg/WECTCOqCn4I/AAAAAAAAAC4/E-Q-DidgVcIpcvwryTeZTBrXJPO7NhOOgCLcB/s1600/http_search.png>

Can I force it to show only the page title in search results when viewed
from a web server?