I have a one-page (only index.rst) sphinx project with a title and a raw::
html directive including some PHP. That's it. No toctree !

Why? The html build output is copied to a web server root and used as a
(cheap) basic dynamic landing page to list and link to the contents of
another directory.

The problem: The singlehtml builder fails unless there is a toctree AND at
least one single entry to another rst file.

The html builder works without this restriction.

Question: Why the difference, and why is toctree mentioned as being
necessary (at least in the sphinx-quickstart template)?

Note: We use a generic build script that builds html, singlehtml, latex for
all sphinx projects. I have added a flag to skip the singlehtml build in
this one case but I still wondered why...