I'm generating some rst tables in python using the python-tabulate module:

headers = ["Column Name", "Data Type", "Length", "Precision", "Scale",
"Description"]
tabulate_col = tabulate(this_table_columns, tablefmt='rst', headers =
headers)

The "this_table_columns" variable is a python list containing lists of
column data.
I then add this rst table as an object to an existing python dictionary as
the table_columns value, and in python the output (if printed) looks like
this:

[
{'table_nam': 'Table1',
'table_comment': 'Table 1 comments.',
'table_columns': u'
==================  ===========  ========  ===========  =======
===================================\n
Column Name         Data Type    Length    Precision    Scale
Description\n
==================  ===========  ========  ===========  =======
===================================\n
Column 1            integer                32           0         \n
Column 2            varchar      40                              The stage
of a buildings lifecycle.\n
==================  ===========  ========  ===========  =======
==================================='
},
{'table_nam': 'Table2', etc.....

As you can see, tabulate puts the whole contents of the rst output as
unicode with the "u".

However, when I try and load this data into a sphinx rst template in
ReadTheDocs as such:

{% for item in schema_tab  %}
Table Name: {% filter upper %} {{ item.table_nam }} {% endfilter %}

{{ item.table_columns }}
{% endfor %}

Sphinx seems to ignore the trailing newline character "\n" and doesn't
format the table correctly:

Table Name: Table1

Column Name Data Type Length Precision Scale Description ==================
=========== ======== =========== =======
=================================== Column 1 integer 32 0 _1 Column 2
varchar 40 The stage of a buildings lifecycle. ==================
=========== ======== =========== ======= ===================================

Table Name: Table2

Column Name Data Type Length Precision Scale Description =============
Column 2 varchar 40 The value for column 2. ============= ===========
etc.....

Why does sphinx ignore the newline character? This seems to prevent me from
using the nice tabulate module ability to generate ReST tables easily.
Any ideas on how to prevent ReadTheDocs/Sphinx from ignoring trailing
newlines? I don't see any configuration options in ReadTheDocs settings
related to this.