Hi,

What Komiya was saying is that you can override this with theme templates
see this line in the default theme:
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/blob/master/sphinx/themes/basic/layout.html#L124

You can extend the theme and write something like:

{%- if not embedded and docstitle %}
  {%- set titlesuffix = " | "|safe + docstitle|e %}
{%- else %}
  {%- set titlesuffix = "" %}
{%- endif %}

I am not that familiar with SEO but if using "|" is the convention I can
send a PR for you.

Hope this helps,

Aaron Carlisle

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Barbara Snyder <barb...@signalfx.com> wrote:

> Renato, I am the doc writer for SignalFx.
>
> Takeshi, there is nothing like this in my template (which I did not
> create). I tried to add it but it isn't working. So it must be a sphinx
> default somewhere. It shows the doc name, then em dash, then the default
> "<project> v<release> documentation".
>
> I tried replacing my layout.html with the default one you linked to, but
> that led to errors like "css_tag undefined" which prevented the build from
> completing.
>
> We are happy to hire someone to fix this for us but have not been able to
> find anyone in prior searches for a contractor to provide various
> customization additions for us. If anyone reading this message believes
> they can help, please contact me directly.
>
> Thanks -- Barbara
>

> On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 2:36:53 AM UTC-7, Komiya Takeshi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Barbara,
>>
>> The hyphen is defined as template variable of basic template.
>> It might be able to override it on your template. Please try it :-)
>>
>> https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/blob/1140e81df7ee9df1135ef9f35302ffd72d5bd764/sphinx/themes/basic/layout.html#L23-L27
>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsphinx-doc%2Fsphinx%2Fblob%2F1140e81df7ee9df1135ef9f35302ffd72d5bd764%2Fsphinx%2Fthemes%2Fbasic%2Flayout.html%23L23-L27&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFooNklN_uTTyoDO3qQnWpyKZC5oQ>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Takeshi KOMIYA

>>> Hello --
>>>
>>> My SEO folks have asked me to change our implementation at
>>> docs.signalfx.com so the browser tabs show pipes | instead of hyphens.
>>>
>>> So instead of a tab looking like this:
>>>

>>> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XqLkRHLlVIQ/Wz_3SeUAHDI/AAAAAAAAAOM/7eWz_EBicAUnnY7DfI2cwcB3UKB9DJyZACLcBGAs/s1600/tab.png>
>>>
>>> It would look like this:
>>>
>>> Concepts | SignalFx 1.0 etc....
>>>
>>> I can't find where the styling and content for the tab is specified. Any
>>> help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks -- Barbara
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --