Dear Sphinx experts.

I've asked this already a few years ago
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sphinx-dev/0chv7BsYuW0) but I
didn't get an answer.

Now I'm having a very similar problem again and I thought I'll try asking again.

I know that I can create new nodes and register visit/depart functions
with app.add_node().

But instead of a completely new node, I would like to use an existing
node, I just need additional custom visit/depart functions that are
called in addition to the original visit/depart functions.
In fact, I would like to get the original visit/depart functions for
HTML output and my own custom functions for LaTeX output.

In my concrete case I would like to use docutils.nodes.container nodes
specifying a "classes" argument to select CSS classes that will be
used in the HTML renderer.
But for LaTeX output I need to add some more stuff in the visit/depart
functions.

If I derive my own class from docutils.nodes.container and register it
with app.add_node(), the CSS classes are not added to the HTML output,
because apparently the original visit/depart functions are not
executed in that case.

Can I somehow derive a new node from an existing node without killing
the original visit/depart functions?

cheers,
Matthias