Hello,

in my footer template I usually have something like this::

link</a>

It's practical for me because usually I watch the generated output in my
local build, but sometimes I want to see the published version of it.

The trick works perfectly for me, except on sites where I use the
dirhtml builder
<https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/builders/index.html#sphinx.builders.dirhtml.DirectoryHTMLBuilder>.
On such a site a can remove the ".html" in the href::

which works for most pages, but *not* for the index.rst page of a
directory. Any thoughts on this?

Luc