Guys:

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Mark Brown
<broo...@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> Enable and disable the clocks to the SPI controller using runtime PM. This
> serves the dual purpose of reducing power consumption a little and letting
> the core know when the device is idle.

What about using autosuspend instead?  If a client is doing a lot of
closely-spaced SPI transactions on a relatively flat device tree,
might the resulting runtime suspend/resume overhead between each
transaction become noticeable?

I'm doing runtime PM on several drivers myself, and that question
keeps coming up a lot.  Especially for devices that are more
complicated to suspend/resume than this one.  But even without the
device-specific overhead, I'm wondering how structure-walking that
goes on behind the pm_runtime() calls might tip the balance of PM
gains the opposite way from what we are seeking.

Not a critique of your patch series per se, but you probably have some
thoughts on all of this too--- and I would love to hear them while
they are still fresh. :)

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff