On 2012-12-04 10:11, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Andreas Larsson <andr...@gaisler.com> wrote on 2012/12/04 08:58:50:
>> Any comments on this? A fair amount of rearranging and ifdefing would
>> be needed to make the spi-fsl-spi driver workable outside an fsl and
>> powerpc environment so I rather get some input before before trying
>> to perfect a solution that could not be acceptable into mainline.
>
> I am far from kernel devlopment ATM but I do have one comment, how to
> ensure this new combined driver doesn't break on existing powerpc
> systems?

Of course it would be preferable if the future patch would be tested on
the original system to be sure nothing breaks.

Taking the "do everything inside the existing driver" approach could
limit the risk of breaking anything by not moving things around. To get
the driver to work outside an fsl environment ifdefs can be added in a
way that the code would essentially be the same running on the original
systems. Then, new branches that will never be taken on the original
boards can handle the newly added mode.

This might not produce the most elegant code in the end though. The
easiest way to make sure that nothing is broken is of course if I submit
a completely separate driver, the downside being the duplicate
code/functionality.

Cheers,
Andreas