Hi,

On 11/02/2013 05:50 PM, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
Bastein, Hans,

We need an agreement on this topic so I can implement something - and
have it accepted in both Spice and Gnome eventually.

There are 2 possible approaches conflicting here:
(i) (spice-proposed) DEs to export API for toggling effects
(preferable inhibitor-styled). Spice to actively use this API as it
sees fit.
(ii) (gnome-proposed) Spice to export API about its internal state,
DEs to recognize Spice and use that API as they want (e.g. disable
effects).

Both approaches can work, and second one seems to be easier to
implement for Spice/Gnome stack.
Main arguments pro (i):
1. It seems right for Spice to be in an active position, deciding what
to do. DEs are merely environments providing APIs and means for
applications to achieve their goals.
2. Spice aims to support many DEs, not only Gnome (mainly under
freedesktop, ofc). Making other DEs to recognize Spice usage and
implement appropriate logic seems to be incorrect approach, which may
be not acceptable from their PoV.

To address Bastein's concern about new inhibitors: we want them to be
system ones, similar to existing idle and other inhibitors. Not
something in the user space of Spice. They should be useful for other
remoting applications like VNC, and maybe some other apps (cannot
think up other real use cases right now).

Either way works for me, with a slight preferences for having inhibitors.

Regards,

Hans