This is another take on trying to clean up the deprecation warning
situation in Spice-Gtk.

Let me know if it goes in the right direction.

With this patchset deprecation warnings are enabled again and there are
no remaining warnings, except those in src/controller since they happen
in generated code and I don't know how to modify it so it does not use
the deprecated GSimpleAsyncResult class (and I don't really want to do
the conversion to GTask either). Of course those could also be avoided
by keeping the -Wno-deprecated-declarations in src/controller but then
nobody will fix that code.

Francois Gouget (10):
  build-sys: Enable deprecation warnings instead of ignoring them entirely

First the Spice-Gtk situation is different from the Spice server one.

In Spice server the only deprecated APIs we use are Spice's own. So new
uses will only result from changes in Spice's code. Thus it's ok to have
them produce an error to prevent their use from spreading.

In Spice-Gtk the deprecated APIs are almost all GTK APIs. Those can be
deprecated at any time independently of Spice-Gtk's code. Thus we don't
want deprecation warnings to break the build.

But so far they have be completely disabled, thus ensuring no one
will ever fix them. So the first patch turns them back to regular
warnings with -Wno-error.

  gtk: Avoid gtk_vbox_new(); it is deprecated
  gtk: Avoid gtk_hbutton_box_new(); it is deprecated
  gtk: GtkTable is deprecated so use GtkGrid instead

These patches just fix usage of some deprecated APIs. Fixes that would
likely have happened not long after GTK+ 2.0 support was dropped if
deprecation warnings had not been disabled. Those should clearly be
applied even if we don't enable deprecation warnings.

  gtk: Ignore GLib's too-new warnings where we explicitly check its version

GLib also issues warnings for APIs that are more recent than
GLIB_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED. But these happen in suitable #if sections and
thus should be ignored.

  build-sys: Remove SPICE_NO_DEPRECATED
  build-sys: Use spice-protocol's deprecation macros

This one may be somewhat questionable since it spice-protocol's macros
don't use GLib's helpers and thus don't support Clang and Visual C++.
This means we may locally disable these warnings with
G_GNUC_BEGIN_IGNORE_DEPRECATIONS when they would not have in fact been
issued at all.
* It's not like this issue would cause compilation errors or
  warnings (the opposite) so maybe it should just be ignored.
* Or maybe it means Spice-Gtk should keep using its own deprecation
  macros, but it would be a bit of a shame that spice-protocol's macros
  cannot even be reused by all Spice's codebase.
* Or maybe  spice-protocol should use GLib's macros if available,
  even if it is a bit distasteful.

  session: Disable the spice_audio_new() deprecation warning

I donsider this to be a "false positive", although maybe the code should
be rewritten to avoid it.

  RFC: gtk: Temporarily ignore the keyboard/mouse grabbing deprecation warnings
  RFC: spicy: Temporarily ignore deprecation warnings

These two really just silence warnings that should be fixed. So if
someone fixes these warnings they will not be needed. Otherwise I think
it's still better than globally disabling the deprecation warnings
because these patches are local and add nice FIXME warnings in the
relevant places.

 m4/spice-compile-warnings.m4 |  2 +-
 src/Makefile.am              |  1 -
 src/controller/Makefile.am   |  1 -