>>> Section 6.7.2 of C99 standard specified "unsigned" as type.
>>> The fact you are not familiar with this is an opinion I don't
>>> personally share. "long" does not specify a type as "unsigned"
>>> doesn't.
>>>

>> [...]
>>

>>> So let's write "long int" for anything. "unsigned" is not less typing,
>>> it's a type specified by the language.
>>
>> I never said "unsigned" is not standard compliant, so I don't know why
>> you keep coming back to that.
>> I previously said that just because something is standard-compliant does
>> not mean it's a good idea to do it, [insert your favourite obfuscated C
>> contest example here].
>>
>> In this particular case, since you feel strongly about it, feel free to
>> ignore my comment, but I'll nonetheless keep thinking it makes things
>> less readable ;)
>>
>> Christophe
>>

> I moved to "unsigned int" 2 versions ago.

It was courteous of you.

> But still think that is a useful discussion. But honestly I think
> in this case the readability is quite an opinion and for me
> unsigned is like long, perfectly readable and I saw lot of code
> using just unsigned.

It is useful on two levels:

a) Because I personally feel ‘unsigned int’ less readable and less
consistent with the common usage for.’long’ or ‘short’.

b) To discuss the matter of debating style preferences in code reviews,
notably for new code and new languages.

In that case, we have C++ code, where my experience tells me that
‘unsigned’ is by far more common (as is camel-case, for example).

If we start considering that some C programmer may not know that
‘unsigned’ means ‘unsigned int’, what happens the first time someone
introduces ‘auto’ or ‘for (a : b) in C++ code, or _Generic in C code?