> On 24 Jul 2017, at 16:06, Marc-André Lureau <marcandre.lur...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi

No, in some repository shared by the team (at large), so that we can, at a
glance, look at what has not been reviewed yet.

> This is not how 'distributed' is supposed to work imho. If every contributor
> should start pushing is branch, and leave it outdated for ages..

The problem of outdated patches is what we have today, see Frediano’s message
that started the thread.

> What are the rules about cleaning up those old personal branches? Who should
> be allowed to push, when etc? no, thanks, use git

How is using git URLs not “using git”?

> and there are plenty of public places you can push your work.

So plenty of places, but by no means a shared one? The point is that we need a
shared one, to be able to view pending reviews at a glance.

> Then you can use the mailing list to announce it, or to send your patches for
> review.

Last time I shared a private link as an RFC, you told me this was not the right
way to do things. Which is why I am now suggesting we also keep the mail patch.

>>> 2. Adding the git URL in the patch, e.g.
>>> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/log/?h=review/c3d/recorder
>>> <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/log/?h=review/c3d/recorder>.
>>>

> That you can already do in a mail, although such url tends to become obsolete
> pretty quickly. patches series are better archived.

It gets obsolete even faster if you remove the branch I push for illustration
seconds after I push it ;-)

> If necessary, a cover-letter should say on which commit the series applies.
> There are tools like patchew that may also help.

My point is that 1) this is not the case today, and 2) a git link is the best
way to summarize the history (faster and more reliable than  a cover letter)

>>> 3. Once the patch has been committed, simply do a ‘git push freedesktop
>>> :review/c3d/recorder’
>>> to delete the branch.
>
> This is extra burden, and will leave broken links

A broken link is useful information. It means “this work has been merged”. As
for the burden, it’s totally negligible relative to figuring out today if a
specific patch has been merged.

>>> I see several benefits to doing this:
>>>
>>> 1. We always know exactly which component and branch is being patched
>>>

> As long as contributor keep pinging or resending his series, this is already
> the case.

As Frediano said at the beginning of the series, “I’m tired of hearing this
reply”.

> A series that is no longer being proposed is basically considered abandoned.
> I think that rule of thumb works fine in practice.

Some of us disagree.

>>> 2. When you work on branch, a daily “git fetch” will fetch all the new
>>> “review”
>>> branches, so a simple git branch -a will show you what needs to be
>>> reviewed.
>
> As a developer or as a maintainer, you are not often interested by the
> various iterations of a work. It's enough to be on CC of a series to review.

If you are not interested, don’t look at the ‘review’ branches then. Where’s
the problem?

> Eventually, the contributor can send a WIP series for some input without
> detailed review.

I think you meant “eventually” to mean the same thing as “eventuellement” in
French (if necessary or possibly), not in the english sense of “at the end”?

I did that with my early recorder WIP. You apparently did not like that way of
proceeding.

>>> 3. If you want to test, a git checkout is enough to test (assuming you did
>>> the git fetch above). Simpler IMO than git am (even if I assume most of us
>>> have scripts to process incoming mail)
>
> qemu uses patchew, I think it would be worth to consider it for spice as
> well. It applies the patches on a mailing list, run some tests, gives you a
> stable URL, tracks the review (and the various iteration recently iirc)…

Good tool, but different problem.