Thanks for the feedback!

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM Marc-André Lureau <
marcandre.lur...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi

new apps from Windows Store are not visible at all.
Here's part of their implementation for Win, most important is
the VBoxEnumFunc() that decides which window should be shown.
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/WINNT/VBoxTray/VBoxSeamless.cpp
Maybe it could be useful when targeting older versions of windows,
otherwise I'm not sure, haven't look at the linux version yet.

> Agent sends list of visible areas/change in visible area whenever a window
> > is created, moved or closed/hidden. The client then masks out the areas
> > that shoud not be visible accordingly.
>
> How do you deal with non-rectangular apps/windows?

Currently all windows are considered to be rectangular.
Is there any well-known program that has non-rectangular windows? Perhaps
some clock widgets?

> > The spice-gtk and  linux agent implementation is heavily based on older
> work
> > from Ondřej Holý and Lukáš Venhoda, so big shout-out for them.
> > I merged the initial commits in spice-gtk and fixed some minor issues.
> > You can have a look at the original version here, if you wish to,
> > on branch "seamless-mode":
> >
> > spice-protocol: git://people.freedesktop.org/~lvenhoda/spice-protocol
> > spice-gtk:      git://people.freedesktop.org/~lvenhoda/spice-gtk
> > linux vdagent:  git://people.freedesktop.org/~lvenhoda/vd_agent
> >
> > Further progress can be tracked on my Github,
> > again branch "seamless-mode" (might not be always stable):
> >
> > spice-protocol: https://github.com/jjanku/spice-protocol.git
> > spice-gtk:      https://github.com/jjanku/spice-gtk.git
> > linux vdagent:  https://github.com/jjanku/linux-vd_agent.git
> > win32 vdagent:  https://github.com/jjanku/win32-vd_agent.git
> >
> > DEMO:
> > If everything goes well, you should hopefully see output similar to this:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX49z8VbD-c
> > (windows leaving traces have been fixed since then)
>
> Nice, easy to see a few glitches though. I suppose it's even worse with a
> more recent windows/os. Also I suppose you have bigger glitch when windows
> overlap each others. Ideally, each windows would have a different drawing
> context/buffer, so composition/decomposition on the client side wouldn't
> suffer glitches. This is something we could more easily have with
> virgl-enabled guest, since each application has different rendering
> contexts already.

What do you mean by glitches? The traces after moving/resizing the
minesweeper window?

> TESTING:
> > Has been tested on:
> > Fedora 25 with Gnome, Win7, Win8.1, Win10; all with basic preinstalled
> > programs
> > (there seem to be some extra windows that pass the filter on Win8.1,
> >  other versions should work just fine)
> >
> > NOTICE:
> > spice-gtk: commit ba87ba2: removes drawing function that was in the
> original
> > implementation and I found it redundant, it works fine without it for me.
> > If you have any problems with transparency, delete this commit and
> > give it another try, otherwise it shall be merged with the initial
> commit.
> >
> > LIMITATIONS & FUTURE PLANS:
> > - window integration could be better (currently one window that stays on
> > top),
> >   maybe create some dummy windows that would control the actual windows
> on
> >   remote system? not sure really, any ideas?
>
> Indeed, the app focus should be managed by the client.

> > - multi monitor/workspace support
> > - launching programs: currently no way for linux, Start menu on Windows
>
> I'd consider this a secondary goal
>
> > - drag & drop (started some research for Win, see below if you're
> interested)
>
> same here.
>
> Better drag and drop would also benefit "non-rootless" remote desktop. I
> have done some work in the past around this, you can see some old wip here:
>

> https://github.com/elmarco/spice-gtk/commit/c3eba974975d4f4d8fefc5b5f2db59db33c49fec
>
> https://github.com/elmarco/vdagent-gtk/commit/4b58c752e6844d3a8d763964f36c9e9d29929d36
>
> (based on an incomplete vdagent rewrite:
> https://github.com/elmarco/vdagent-gtk)
>
> Note I was only using Gtk, so code should remain portable.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Since it isn't just seamless-mode dependent, I'd
like to address it rather sooner than later.

> > - clicking through: gdk_window_input_shape_combine_region() is not
> supported
> >   on Win, gdk_window_shape_combine_region() might do the trick
> >   (as it does on some linux systems), not tested though
> > - Wayland support?
>
> That should be a priority at this point. Using and fixing gtk+ where
> necessary should give the portability needed.
>
> > - windows in Gnome have no border/shadow, they blend into the background,
> >   maybe we should draw shadows/borders for them in spice-gtk? (low
> priority)
>
> To be discussed with gtk/desktop team, I suppose there is a way to
> activate shadow.
>
> You probably don't want the window decoration & border being drawn by the
> client though.
>
> > - Windows: switch to in-context event hooks? (low priority)
>
> What's that?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd318524(v=vs.85).aspx
It should be faster, but would probably require some sort of inter-process
communication to get the data back to vdagent. VirtualBox implementation
uses these. Delayed events don't seem to be the current issue though.

> - any suggestions are welcomed :) The points above should be discussed.
> >
> > Related: https://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/RootlessWindows
>
> To be honest, I would focus on getting the feature to work with a modern
> linux guest first (modifying it as necessary), rather than targeting an old
> windows.
>
> The demo is older and a bit misleading, here's a new one:
https://youtu.be/JENQCkKq4sA
On Win10 there seems to be the problem that messages with window positions
are ahead of display data, but the identification of windows themselves
works. I agree that it should support modern linux guest, however the
ability to run windows apps seamlessly in linux environment is quite
desired, isn't it?