> Christophe de Dinechin writes:

> >> Yes, make the reset more stable.
> >> When you close the device the state will be more consistent allowing
> >> basically to kill the process using the device in any state and opening
> >> again. Obviously if you continue to send wrong commands the device will
> >> keep rejecting them.
> >>
> >> I tried to reproduce the issues reported on IRC and these helped me,
> >> now I avoid entirely to reboot the guest.
> >
> > OK, right now I get a QEMU crash whenever I do any kind of activity
> > (the keyboard seems to be what triggers it).
> >
> > I’m trying to reproduce on master to see if your patch is the cause.
> > That host has gone through some unusual nastiness, and may be
> > in a geborked state.
>
> Reverting the server to master, I am back to the behavior I had before,
> where the same series of events leads to
>
> DISPLAY=:1 spice-streaming-agent -c noblock=yes
> spice-streaming-agent[2240]: UNKNOWN msg of type 5
> spice-streaming-agent[2240]: BAD VERSION 0 (expected is 1)
> spice-streaming-agent[2240]: BAD VERSION 108 (expected is 1)
> spice-streaming-agent[2240]: BAD VERSION 97 (expected is 1)
> spice-streaming-agent[2240]: read command from device FAILED -- read 1
> expected 8
> spice-streaming-agent[2240]: FAILED to read command
>
> So it looks like your patch makes the behavior worse for me, leading to
> a crash of QEMU and loss of that guest.
>
> I can debug if you want, but since I'm still quite behind on mail, I
> won't do that right away. Hope you have an idea how this happens. If
> not, I'll take a look.

Didn't manage to reproduce even if I had the errors you mentioned above.
Which Qemu version are you using? Which distro and version?
Maybe is a bug in old Qemu?
One "problem" could be setting the state to 0 causing some NULL
pointers. I checked some of our structure however I cannot see
any reason to have an invalid reference at location 4 (usually
a field access with 4 byte offset from a NULL pointer).
Do you have a code dump?

> Thanks
> Christophe
>

> > Will keep you posted.
> >

> > Christophe
> >

> >> The tests (manual at the beginning) I did were coded into unit tests
> >> so you could try it and will help to avoid these conditions in the
> >> future.

Frediano