I thought I had sent this yesterday, but I never saw it appear. My apologies if this is a duplicate.

Ive been having some serious driveability issues with the single Stromberg carb on my 78 Spitfire which I have yet to sort out. While searching the internet for some ideas, I found a site about the carb to manifold mounting gasket. This site advises: Some repair manuals will illustrate the carb to manifold gasket inverted. This, although do-able, on the car and looking correct; loses vacuum and the car will run but won't idle. The gasket needs switched 90 degrees from the manuals to work.

Unfortunately without knowing whether I have a right or wrong repair manual, it doesnt really say which way is correct. And of course I didnt pay sufficient attention when the carb was initially taken off the manifold. Im presuming that the cut-out on the gasket (actually I believe its an insulator) lines up with an identical cut-out on the throttle passage of the carb. That would seem obvious, but Ive learning never to assume anything about the Stromberg!

Can anyone confirm or deny so I can at least eliminate this possibility?

Thanks as always!

Greg Rowe